The PYMIG held a virtual meeting via Zoom on November 23, 2020, at 7:00 pm. The meeting’s purpose was for the builders (Potomac Yard Constructors or PYC) to update the Metrorail Station’s progress and address the future construction schedule. The agenda, presentation materials, and video of the meeting are available at https://www.alexandriava.gov/PotomacMetroWorkGroup (Note: The presentation material slides will significantly help you understand the synopsis below).
1. Southwest Access. Both the City Planning Commission and City Council unanimously recommended approval of an amendment to the DSUP to add the southwest access pavilion in Potomac Yard. PYC will begin construction in January 2021 (slides 4 and 5).
2. Construction Update.
3. Headhouses. PYC has poured the West headhouse platform floor and support columns for the mezzanine level floor (slides 7-9 and photos). PYC has begun installing shoring to support the mezzanine floor at the East headhouse. The shoring will eventually span both headhouses and the area between them (slides 10, 11, and photos).
4. AC Switchgear Building. PYC is installing steel supports for the roof (slide12).
5. Future Schedule. You can find PYC’s short-term construction schedule (through February 2021) on slide 13 and the long-term project schedule (through project completion in March 2022) on slide 14.
6. You can view the new landscaping plan for the east (Potomac Greens) side of the station at https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/LandscapePlan_PotomacGreensPark.pdf.
7. City staff will provide a video update on the Metro Station construction progress in late-December 2020. The next PYMIG virtual meeting is scheduled for January 25, 2021, at 7 pm. The link to attend the Zoom meeting is posted on the City’s PYMIG webpage, shown in the first paragraph.
Update courtesy of Steve Crime – PG neighborhood’s PYMIG liaison